In this tutorial, I will teach you how to build your first e-commerce store and accept Bitcoin payments. We will build the website from scratch, together, step by step with no steps skipped. The software we’re going to use is free and open-source.
This setup is made for complete newbies with no coding or web-design knowledge. The tutorial includes lots of illustrations and easy-to-follow videos divided into steps.
When you complete the last step, you’ll have a professional looking, e-commerce store with your products or services, contact and about us page and a Bitcoin payment processor which will allow you to accept Bitcoin payments directly, with no fees or intermediate.
There are many tutorials on how to create a website or an e-commerce website on the internet. However, none of the guides explains how to accept Bitcoin.
My goal is to help non-tech savvy people to set up their website in a cost-effective and user-friendly way and start accepting Bitcoin through BTCPay Server, directly without fees or transaction cost.
If you’re a bit of an advanced user and you know how to create a website, this detailed article is separated into sections, so you can jump to the part which interests you the most. Already have a WoocCommerce store? Start here and learn how to accept Bitcoin.
If you’re a newbie, do not be afraid or overwhelmed. I invested a significant amount of time in breaking the entire process of launching the store into tiny pieces, so there’s no need to do everything in a day. Each step will give you a certain sense of accomplishment, and you’ll see the results, with each completed stage.
The tutorial is paginated into multiple pages. Each page represents a step. Each step has a video explanation. At the bottom of each page, you will see a button to proceed to the next phase.
Let’s now take a look at all the steps.
Understand what is web-hosting, domain name, SSL certificate and more. Learn what’s under the hood of our website.
Purchase the hosting plan, domain name and SSL certificate. Install WooCommerce and WordPress and preview the first website.
Familiarize yourself with WooCommerce and its interface. Set up basic options, your first products and adjust shipping options.
Adjust your webstore appearance by changing colors of different elements. Add menus and make the website more user-friendly.
Configure BTCPay Server by following one of the two ways to deploy it. Start accepting Bitcoin in your store with this powerful tool.
[Icon Credits: web store by I Putu Kharismayadi, hosting and webshop by Maxim Basinskihttps by Creative Stall, customize by Marek Polakovic, Shopping bitcoin by Egorova Valentina, Document from Samuel Q. Green and Plugin by Farias, all icons from the Noun Project]
So what are you waiting for? Let’s begin building our first online store that will accept Bitcoin.
Table of Contents
- 1Under the Hood
- 1.1Web Hosting
- 1.1.1Shared Hosting
- 1.1.2Dedicated Hosting
- 1.1.3VPS Hosting
- 1.1.4Why do you need both VPS and Shared for this setup?
- 1.2Domain name and SSL
- 1.3.1WordPress Theme
- 1.3.2WordPress Plugins
- 18.104.22.168BTCPay Server
- 1.4The cost
- 2Web Hosting
- 2.1Choosing The Hosting Plan
- 2.2Domain name
- 2.3Setting up the account
- 2.3.1Extra Services
- 2.4Phone verification
- 2.5Creating Wordpress and WooCommerce
- 2.6E-mail verification (inbox)
- 2.7Previewing the website
- 3Customizing WordPress
- 3.1Logging into WordPress
- 3.2Getting familiar with the back-end interface
- 3.3Installing the Theme
- 3.4Removing the demo content
- 3.4.1Removing the plugins
- 3.4.2Removing the Products
- 3.4.3Removing product categories
- 3.4.4Removing posts and comments
- 4Woocommerce Customization
- 4.1WooCommerce General Settings
- 4.2Creating WooCommerce Pages
- 4.3Creating product categories
- 4.4Adding products
- 4.4.1Creating Simple Product
- 4.4.2Creating Variation Product
- 4.5Shipping rates and methods
- 5Installing plugins
- 5.1Adding Contact Form
- 6Customizing Theme
- 6.1Customizing Header
- 6.2Customizing Footer
- 6.2.1Adding About Us in the footer
- 6.2.2Adding Bitcoin Accepted Here Sign
- 6.2.3Adding Menus to Footer
- 7Setting up BTCPay Server
- 7.1Installing BTCPay WooCommere Plugin
- 7.2Connecting to a Third-Party Host
- 7.2.1Registering with a third-party host
- 7.2.2Pairing your store with a host
- 7.3Installing BTCPay self-hosted Server
- 7.3.1Buying the VPS
- 7.3.2Creating an account
- 7.3.31-CLICK BTCPay Server Deployment
- 7.3.4Creating the Virtual Machine
- 22.214.171.124Buying additional volume
- 126.96.36.199Attaching a volume
- 188.8.131.52Enabling CPU usage
- 7.3.5DNS Settup
- 7.3.6Deploying BTCPay Server
- 7.4Connecting BTCPay with your wallet
- 7.4.1Connecting your wallet with Ledger Nano S
- 7.4.2Connecting your BTCPay manually
- 7.5Testing BTCPay Checkout
- 8.1Official documentation
- 8.2Managing your orders
- 8.3Free Plugins
- 8.4Search Engine Optimization
- 8.5Support groups
- 8.8The stores made by following this tutorial
- 8.9Thank you
Click on the button below or use page pagination to proceed to Step 1.